Saturday, December 15, 2012

Travel with Me - Florence!

Well you might have spotted some photos from my trip to Europe when I shared a few photos of Rome. Today I thought I'd share a little more about Florence, the next stop on our adventure.
 


 
 
 
Most of the cities in Italy have a dedicated pedestrian-only space through the city centre, so bikes are a wonderful way to explore (especially for bikes-on-streets-with-cars-phobes like me). We spent a full day riding around, visiting the many beautiful squares and streest of Florence.

 
 
Of course, a key stop in Florence has to be the Ponte Vecchio. Did you know this used to be a bridge of butchers, until the ruling family decided it smelled too badly, kicked them all out and created a bridge of jewellers? Nice landlord!
 
 
 
This is the only photo I can find of me inside the Florence Duomo (the correct name is the Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore or the Basilicia of Saint Mary of the Flower) . The austere interior is such a suprise after the riot of pink and green marble on the outside. I think Hollywood Regency might have picked up a few tips on graphic patterns from this particular cathedral?!

Once you wander down the enormous hall inside, a surprise awaits you when you spot the incredible dome...

 
 If anyone has any questions about travelling in Florence I'm happy to share our experiences!



3 comments:

  1. hi anna....florence is up there as one of my favourite places...have been lucky enough to go there 4 times now and wouldnt hesitate to go back (over & over!)...Sadly the travel budget took a fair hit once the kids came along....oh well i have the memories!!
    Allison x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'd so love to visit Florence one day - looks like you had a lovely time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks amazing Anna! Have a great week :)

    Abbey x

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear your opinion on the interiors I show so please leave a comment. They always make my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...